Creating Your Own Natural Air Fresheners
Making your own air fresheners is a great way to add a fresh, clean smell to your home without having to worry about the use of chemicals. Additionally, by making your own air freshener, you can save money and tailor the scents to your preferences.
The main ingredient that you’ll need on hand are essential oils which are a highly-concentrated and fragrant liquid extracted from plants. They may seem expensive, however you will only need a few drops at any one time, so your essential oil should last you for years.
Below are a few essential oil scents that you can pick up as well as their benefits:
Peppermint: it’s often credited with having the ability to improve concentration
Lavender: improves quality of sleep and calms the nervous system
Sesame: credited with lowering stress and blood pressure
Basil: helps relieve headaches
Rose: improves hormonal balance – look for oils that come from Bulgaria and Turkey for the highest quality of essential oil pertaining to Rose scents
Rosemary: stimulates the mind and improves memory
Clove oil: contains aphrodisiac qualities
Lemon & orange: natural antidepressant and calms anxiety
Items that you will need for making your own diffuser:
- Small container. Ideally, you’ll want to get yourself a container that has a relatively small opening as compared to the base which should be wide.
- Reeds. You can get them cheap on Amazon.
- Mineral oil. This will help with pushing the scent up the reeds.
- Vodka. Plain, unflavored to thin out the oil which also helps with pushing the scent up the reeds.
- Essential oil(s). You can use any of the essential oils listed above as well as any other scents that you find pleasant and combine them in whatever way you’d like.
What to do:
- Pour 1/4 cup oil and 2 Tbps vodka into a bowl and mix well.
- Use about 1.5 Tbps of essential oil and mix into bowl containing oil/vodka mixture.
- Put everything into the container.
- Insert as many reeds as you can fit into opening.
- Flip the reeds at a minimum of every few days, though you can do it more often if you want to really get the scent to diffuse.
Items that you will need for making your own spray:
- Spray bottle
- Essential oil
- Baking soda
What to do:
- Put 1 Tbsp of baking soda into a bowl and then use about 20 – 30 drops of essential oil and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of water into bowl and mix until baking soda fully dissolved.
- Pour mixture into spray bottle and viola, you have an air freshening spray.
If you’ve made your own diffuser or air freshening spray, we’d love to hear what essential oils you’ve combined in the comments.
- Homemade air freshener (123ideajunky.wordpress.com)
- All Natural Air Freshener (iamsimplytrying.wordpress.com)
- How to make air fresh by yourself? (chondatech.wordpress.com)